When you travel around Vietnam adventure tours with motorbikes are worth trying at least once during your lifetime. Regarding buying a right motorbike in Vietnam, we would like to share with you some hints, tips, and information.
1. Get all necessary licenses and documentation ready
Riding legally in Vietnam means that you must get a valid Vietnam motorcycle license. Besides, you must be in the ownership of other papers for the motorcycle so that you can ride on it legally during your adventure activities in Vietnam, and buy insurance which is quite cheap from the same agent where you got your license.
2. Finding out a suitable motorbike
To achieve this seemingly difficult task, it is a good idea to check online at such websites as Craigslist or Travelswop. They give you a lot of information about most popular bikes available in Vietnam. Also, choosing the ones with a good online reputation can save you gambling and buying the wrong bike from a backpacker.
3. Know what your budget is
4. Inspect carefully
– The frame: Is it straight? Any suspicious looking welding? It is acceptable if there is a small amount of surface rust is OK but have a good poke at areas but the pen going through anywhere means it is not meant for your adventure tours around Vietnam.- The tires: What are the tires like? Do they have tread on them? Are they inflated? You should look out closely at the sides of the tire for any cracks or bits missing.- The electronics: It is advisable to check everything twice, front light (dipped and main beam), backlight (headlight on and brake light), indicators, horn, starter motor (if fitted).
– The suspension: Bounce the bike to check whether there are any strange noises and press down to check whether or not the suspension returns to the extended position.
5. But wait, take a try!
The result might be good after your thorough check, but you have to take a trying ride on that motorbike. In this way, you can make sure that all the gears work smoothly, brakes work, there are no strange noises, the acceleration is smooth and progressive.
If you find any minor issues then politely tell the seller about them and factor them into your offer price. Here is a small price guide you should remember while taking your Vietnam adventure tours (in VND).
– Front tire – 120,000
– Rear tire – 150,000
– Oil change – 80,000
– Small wiring fix e.g. Headlight not working – 20,000
– Rear wheel hub – 250,000
– Wheel bearings (per wheel) – 50,000
– Indicator – 30,000
– Inline fuel filter and carb clean – 70,000